Thursday, April 21, 2011

Shut the F up!

I watched Martin Scorcese's Public Speaking with Fran Liebowitz with my roommates the other day and fell in love with her cynicism. Perhaps she appealed to my own inner cynical Suzie. I cheered when she unapologetically scowled that this- my generation is too confident, too self- assured, self aggrandizing in the belief  that their voices need to be heard and everything they say validated...


"No! Shut up," she says "You are not the greatest [...] Your every thought does not need to be heard" 


On some level, I may have internalized this thought some time ago. I have not been published in years and striking a balance between writing and art has been arduous at best. I fear I am losing my perspective which brings me to another poignant Liebowitz statement,


"There are two types of writers, those who mature into better writers and those who get worse..."
I often wonder from which of these cloths I am cut...

No comments:

Post a Comment