Monday, January 26, 2009

3 Dollars & 6 Dimes

If it is at all possible to be a dreamer and a cynic wrapped in one that would in fact be me.  I never owned a pair of rose colored glasses and often wanted to snatch them off of the eyes of family and friends without warning. However, at this moment I find myself at an impass...too many people reaching for the glasses they perceive me to be wearing and actually digging at my eye balls...scratching my natural lens...I'm not bleeding yet but it is, I fear, inevitable.

Yesterday a loving family member offered me a cup...to use to stand outside of the metro station and beg because clearly I am too blind to the fact that I am wasting my time tryin to build up some ridiculous business when I need to go and get a "real job," so that I can eat...

I can't help but thinking that food would taste so bitter.
 
I am not blind to the skepticism swirling around the impetuous manner in which I have co-founded my soon to be nonprofit organization or the fact that I am very young and that although numerically older than me, my business partner is younger because he's a man...and um, well, he's a man. Nevertheless, we have a sound business plan and are achieving small victories everyday. Perhaps our methodology is unconventional but never have I heard it uttered that there is one path to success. What we aren't doing is waiting for a pot of gold to land in our laps! waiting to hit the number! Waiting for someone to hit us with their vehicle so we can sue ( and yes I know plenty of people that are not opposed to this scenario)! 

It seems to me that Black/African American people...WE...as a people are often so wrapped up in the faith of the ridiculous and farfetched.Dreams have to be cloaked in some kind of mystical improbability to be credible. I think its the certainty of knowing that they will most likely never come into fruition which makes them acceptable. Why can't we  fathom of merely stepping outside of the box? owning our own destinies? investing in our birth rights? Our divinely appointed talents? 

 To quote Erykah Badu "I was born with three dollars and six dimes" and I don't know about you but I'm going to invest mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment